The Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex was officially opened on 3 February 1989, however, the Mossel Bay museum industry can be traced back to the 1960s when the Mossel Bay museum was first opened. The museum later became known as the Post Tree museum complex before being renamed again in 1989.
The Dias Museum Complex is situated near the beach, shops, restaurants, banks and the tourist information center. Inside the Maritime Museum is a shop where postcards, stamps, books, souvenirs and small gifts can be bought. On the grounds of the Dias Museum Complex are mountain tortoises, ducks and museum cats. In the Granary there are conference facilities available for 48 people or if used in cinema style, seating for up to 100 people. Catering can be arranged. Mail from the shoe is collected twice a day (once a day out of season) by the Post Office. Whales can be observed from the museum grounds from June to November.
In accordance with our museum’s approved COVID-19 Lockdown Operational Plan, the operation times at our museum will be adjusted as needed. The museum is operated under strict lockdown rules and regulations.
The Granary displays a live specimen table with examples of plants and flowers found in the Mossel Bay area.
The Shell Museum was erected in 1902 next to the Post Office Tree as an extension to the old mill and was mainly used as a store. In later years Mr Joe Shirley used the building for his plumbing business, after which it became known as the “Shirley Building”.
The Maritime Museum was originally erected in 1901 to serve as a grain and sawmill. It has now been adapted to serve as a unique Maritime Museum. A life-sized replica of Bartolomeu Dias’s caravel is on display together with all aspects of the maritime history of the early Portuguese, Dutch and English navigators.
Adults: R 20.00
Pensioners: R 10.00
Children under 18: R 5.00
Complex & Caravel
Adults: R 40.00
Pensioners: R 20.00
Children under 18: R 10.00
The committee of the Friends of the Dias Museum was elected in 2019 after a very special AGM which was attended by a record number of friends.
The committee plan on putting the fun back into the museum and they invite the public to become involved and to join the Friends at only R10 per annum.
Denise Lloyd (Chairman & Representative on the Management Committee); Cobus van Rensburg (Vice); Marlè Munro (Secretary); Hans Bosch (Constitution); David Clayphan (Fundraising); Jan Maritz (Marketing); Brigitte von Schutz (Museum Representative/Scribe); Mbulelo Mrubata (Museum Manager); Hein Bottom (Finance)